Building power for New Mexico families.
Strong Families New Mexico (SFNM), a program of Forward Together, brings together organizations and activists statewide to build strong communities and create policies that work for our families.
Strong Families New Mexico started in 2012. Each year we grow into a more powerful force for statewide and local policy change. SFNM builds leaders and is growing a base of supporters in Bernalillo, McKinley, Doña Ana and Rio Arriba Counties. We are working to ensure that all families have the rights, recognition and resources they need to thrive — from affordable and quality healthcare to safer neighborhoods to benefits for workers.
Connect with us on Facebook.
Civic participation means getting everyday folks involved in the decisions that affect our families and communities. Election season is an especially important time for us to speak up, and there are many ways we can all get involved in the process, regardless of our citizenship status or whether we can vote.
Strong Families New Mexico coordinates year-round civic engagement to change policies and shift culture in New Mexico. We organize roundtables in communities where decision makers, organizations and families can come together to share their stories, offer ideas for change, and create solutions in collaboration with one another.
Each year, Strong Families New Mexico, along with our network of organizations and community leaders, is active during the New Mexico legislative session. We shorten the distance between decision makers and the communities who are most impacted by the decisions that are made at the state level.
For every legislative session, we organize a Strong Families New Mexico Legislative Day with 150 community members who receive training and visit legislators in teams to educate them on the issues that impact their own families and communities. Every other year, we receive community input and create a legislative report card that highlights key bills and grades both chambers and individual legislators on how they voted according to our Strong Families Policy Criteria.
Our Legislative Priorities
- Healthcare: affordable, quality healthcare for every New Mexican, including comprehensive reproductive healthcare.
- Safe Communities: legislation that invests in community and provides resources to communities who are most impacted, while decreasing incarceration rates and gender-based violence.
- Family Recognition and Workers Rights: legislation that recognizes families of all formations and supports both families and workers from pregnant worker accommodations to paid family and medical leave to paid sick days for all workers.
New Mexico Campaigns
Strong Families New Mexico’s campaign work is built from conversations with communities throughout the state and addresses a range of issues from police accountability to healthcare access and more. SFNM, along with many allied organizations, lead on the following campaigns.
- New Mexico Together for Healthcare is a campaign led by New Mexico Center on Law and Poverty, Partnership for Community Action, Strong Families New Mexico, and healthcare leaders across the state to bring quality, affordable comprehensive healthcare to every New Mexican. Visit nmtogether4health.org for more information.
- Respect NM Women is a statewide culture shift campaign to move away from stigma faced by those who have decided to have an abortion. Lead by several organizations, this campaign is a home for advocates of women and families’ reproductive health access. Visit respectnmwomen.org for more information.
- Healthy Workforce ABQ is an Albuquerque campaign lead by Organizers in the Land of Enchantment, Strong Families New Mexico, and other local organizations to bring paid sick days to all Albuquerque workers. Visit healthyworkforceabq.org for more information.
- APD Forward is a movement of Albuquerque residents who work to build a better city by reforming the Albuquerque Police Department. Visit apdforward.org for more information.