Forward Together is looking for a detail oriented, highly organized, conscientious accountant to join our administrative team. We are seeking candidates with an interest and aptitude for Accounting but who also welcome opportunities and growth in other administrative areas such as Human Resources and Operations. While this position will spend a significant amount of time managing data and information, it also requires interacting with colleagues and others so communication and people skills are also needed. Applications will be accepted through February 1, 2019 (more details about the application process below).
Who We Are
Forward Together is a multi-racial, multi-issue organization whose mission is to transform culture and policy to work for all families. We build courage and foster connection among our multi-racial community of change-makers to secure rights, recognition and resources for our families. We are women of color, immigrants, indigenous people, queer and TGNC folks of color who seek to build power and resources so we have self-determination over our bodies, our sexuality and family formation.
You are perfect for this position if…
- You love the details while keeping the bigger picture in mind.
- You embrace deadlines and a consistent weekly and monthly workflow that is cyclical along with being able to handle intermittent tasks as they arise.
- You find satisfaction when the numbers reconcile and are balanced.
- You are organized, systematic, and consistent while understanding that not everyone else is.
- You relish working with data and information and are comfortable with interacting with the people who generate it.
- Accounts Receivable
- Accounts Payable
- Assist with Human Resources administrative tasks
- Assist with Operations administrative tasks
- Participate in organization-wide activities
- Either 2 years of accounting work experience or a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting (may substitute an Associate’s Degree in Accounting for 1 year of the accounting experience). OR, 1 year of accounting work experience or an Associate’s Degree in Accounting.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software (especially Excel), web browsers, web-based email and calendars
- Punctual, reliable, consistent with strong attention to detail (particularly accuracy in data entry), yet not rigid
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; courteous, direct, and accountable, and ability to maintain grace under pressure
- Strong commitment to social justice.
- Must be able to speak, read, write, and understand the primary language (English) used in the workplace
- Ability to hold confidentiality and exhibit good judgment.
- Ability to travel out-of-state for 3-5 days at least 2-3 times per year.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Sits at a desk 90% of the time, which includes typing on a computer and mouse 80% of the time and talking on the phone 10% of the time.
- Regularly required by the duties of this job to use hands to type, write with a pen/pencil, staple, open/close drawers.
- Participates in Courageous Practice, making any physical adjustments personally necessary.
Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Position is located at Forward Together office in Oakland, CA.
- When working inside an office, this position is not exposed to weather conditions.
- The noise level in the office work environment is usually moderate.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Forward Together is an equal opportunity employer that supports and lives diversity in our staffing and values. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women; people of color; immigrant, bilingual, and bicultural individuals; and members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and gender non-conforming communities. Forward Together complies with all applicable federal, state, and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
COMPENSATION, HOURS, LOCATION
This is a full-time, salaried position based in Oakland, CA. Exact salary will be determined upon hiring but will be in the range of $43,000 to $53,000. Benefits are generous, with fully paid employee and dependent coverage for health, vision, and dental; and long-term disability insurance. Paid time off includes sick, vacation, and holidays.
Applicants should submit a cover letter describing:
- Why you are interested in this role with the listed responsibilities;
- Any experience you have with paperless accounts payable systems;
- Why you are interested in working for a multi-racial, multi-issue organization made up of people of color, immigrants, indigenous people, queer and Trans and Gender Nonconforming people who work to secure rights, recognition and resources for families so that family members have self-determination over their bodies, their sexuality, and their family formation.
- You must submit a cover letter and resume as your application. If you submit them as attachments, please name the files as follows:
- Cover Letter: Last Name, First Name Cover Letter (this means your Last Name and First Name)
- Resume: Last Name, First Name Resume (this means your Last Name and First Name)
Please submit your application with the subject line: Last Name, First Name-Staff Accountant to: email@example.com. (This means your Last Name and First Name.)
Applications will be accepted through February 1st, 2019. Early submissions are encouraged. To learn more about Forward Together visit our website: https://forwardtogether.org.