The Oregon team is looking to grow our presence and power! Join our team!
The Oregon Field Organizer will cultivate a base of community leaders focusing on our key constituencies. Key priorities for this position include developing leadership with community members, organizing events that move our program goals, and building relationships with partner organizations.
You are perfect for this position if…
- You love community organizing. You have lead and organized community events, you own phone banking, and you follow up!
- Multi-tasker is your middle name. You love to own multiple projects and can plan backwards to get it all done.
- You like people. They like you back. You are great at relationship building.
- You have a fanatical attention to detail. You pride yourself in not letting things fall through the cracks.
- You like to laugh. Change work can be hard. You can laugh at yourself and with others in times of difficulty.
Reports to: Oregon Advocacy Manager
Classification: Full Time, Regular, Exempt, At Will
Location: Portland, OR; travel to New Mexico and/or Oakland 1-2 times per year for no more than one week per trip and other national travel to conferences/trainings as needed.
Office Hours: 10am-6pm with a half an hour unpaid lunch; occasional weekend and evenings
Salary Range: $48,000-52,000 per year
Benefits: Benefits are generous, with fully paid employee and dependent coverage for health, vision, and dental; and long-term disability insurance. Paid time off includes sick days, vacation, and holidays. All Staff will enjoy a two-week paid closure from December 23, 2019 through January 3, 2020.
Deadline to apply: July 17, 2019
Start Date: Position is available immediately with intent to fill by August 26, 2019
Who We Are
Forward Together transforms culture and policy to work for all of us nationwide. Since our founding in 1989, we have continually fought to dismantle the ways our society marginalizes us based on race, sexuality, and gender. Today, we build courage and foster connection among our multi-racial community of changemakers to secure the rights, recognition and resources all families need to thrive.
Across our country, and in our organization, we envision communities where we are all at home, where we take care of and respect each other, and where everyone is better off. We value the shared leadership of people of color, women, immigrants, LGBTQ+ and Indigenous people in building this future. Find out more about us at forwardtogether.org.
Forward Together is seeking an energetic and effective organizer to join our team and build a base for community change in Oregon. The ideal candidate has experience building relationships and developing leadership with community members that result in increased engagement toward policy change. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who understands base building and community organizing as a key elements to achieving racial and gender justice.
- Develops and implements a concrete base-building strategy and workplan for core outreach areas and communities.
- Develops and supports the leadership and engagement of community members using tactics including direct community outreach, phone & text banking, grassroots field work, rapid response, and story collection.
- Recruits, trains, supports and mobilizes activists in targeted areas on key policy issues.
- Conducts community outreach and uses the Voter Activation Network (VAN) to engage our base during legislative sessions.
- Leads event planning and implementation to advance community engagement and policy advocacy.
- Supports digital and other organizing strategies as needed, including online actions, social media, and tele-town halls.
- Creates accurate and timely field reports.
- Travels frequently for events and meetings within Oregon as needed.
- All other tasks as assigned.
- At least 2 years of experience in a range of community organizing strategies and tactics.
- Understanding of electoral and year-round civic engagement strategies and tactics.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Commitment to social justice and Forward Together’s mission.
- Comfort in a fast-paced environment with shifting priorities.
- Strong ability to use systems, manage calendars and organize information, including proficiency in Microsoft Office, Gmail, Google calendars, and VAN.
- Ability to hold confidential information, use good judgment and exercise keen awareness of other people’s needs.
- Is comfortable with people and an ability to create a fun and social environment with community activists.
- Strong orientation toward growth and improvement, creative thinking and problem solving.
- Ability to travel in and outside of state.
- Experience working in partnership with, by and for communities of color.
Please send cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Your Last Name, Your First Name Oregon Field Organizer. You must submit a cover letter and resume as your application or it will be deemed incomplete. If you submit them as attachments, please name the files as follows:
- Cover Letter: Your Last Name, Your First Name Cover Letter
- Resume: Your Last Name, Your First Name Resume
People of color, queer, transgender, gender nonconforming people and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. EOE.
No phone calls, please. Due to the high volume of applications, only those selected for further discussion will be contacted.