Reports to: Executive Director
Classification: Full-Time, Regular, Non-Exempt, At-Will
Location: Oakland, California; travel to New Mexico and/or Oregon 1-2 times per year for no more than one week per trip
Hours: 8:30-5pm or 9am-5:30pm (8 hours with a half an hour unpaid lunch); Occasional evenings and weekends
Hourly Rate: $27.40-$31.25 ($57,000-$65,000/Year for regular hours worked)
Benefits: Benefits are generous, with fully paid employee and dependent coverage for health, vision, and dental; and long-term disability insurance. Paid time off includes sick, vacation, and holidays.
Deadline to apply: Open until filled. We encourage applicants to apply early as will hire before the deadline if a candidate is identified.
Start Date: May 15, 2019
The Executive Assistant provides dedicated support to the Executive Director and the Deputy Directors, including meeting coordination, travel logistics, administrative support and special projects, prioritizing the needs and projects of the Executive Director. This role represents the Executive Director and the organization to key stakeholders, including board members, funders, partners, and members of the media. The Executive Assistant anticipates and responds to a variety of executive-level needs with a proactive, friendly, and helpful attitude. Required skills for this position include: courtesy and professionalism, initiative, good judgment, timeliness, attention to detail, and the ability to work well under pressure and handle multiple tasks without dropping the ball.
Who We Are
Forward Together is a multi-racial, multi-issue organization whose mission is to transform culture and policy to work for all families. We build courage and foster connection among our multi-racial community of change-makers to secure rights, recognition and resources for our families. We are women of color, immigrants, indigenous people, queer and TGNC folks of color who seek to build power and resources so we have self-determination over our bodies, our sexuality and our family formation.
You are perfect for this position if…
- You love details while keeping the bigger picture in mind.
- You find excitement in completing long and short-term tasks.
- You are organized, systematic, and consistent while understanding that not everyone else is.
- You love keeping people organized and on task.
- You enjoy monitoring someone’s calendar and supporting events and meetings.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve as an external and internal liaison between executives, staff, and stakeholders such as funders, media, board members and organizational partners.
- Schedule and plan meetings including organizing and maintaining the ED’s calendar, reviewing tasks, managing deadlines, and preparing ED and materials for meetings.
- Support board meetings and events by coordinating logistics and preparing packets for the board of directors meeting and other executive meetings, keeping documentation of meetings, conducting follow up, transcribing notes and assisting with the transportation of food/supplies and other activities.
- Coordinate travel logistics for the ED, Deputy Directors, and Board Members including food arrangements; provide support while ED is traveling, and track usage and balance of airline points accounts.
- Provide administrative support to the ED by completing expense reports, invoice requests and other accounting related paperwork and processes; check ED’s mail and voicemail, correspond with others outside of the organization; research, write, copyedit, or prepare presentations, speeches, field reports, and other content as needed; assists with special projects and other office tasks as needed (i.e. mailers, copy jobs, stocking supplies, and database entry) while prioritizing assignments from Executive Director and the Deputy Directors.
- Adheres to organizational values and practices around challenging oppression by exhibiting behaviors indicating inclusion and respect in all facets of the work (programmatic, operational, and interpersonal).
- Actively participates in team meetings as appropriate to role.
- Participates in weekly Courageous Practice sessions.
- Participates in all-staff grassroots fundraising activities.
- Participates in hiring committees or on other teams as assigned.
- Follows financial systems protocols and filing documents in a timely and accurate manner, including check requests, revenue reports, monthly credit card reports, and monthly time/lobbying tracking forms. Completes other required reports and paperwork as assigned.
- Utilizes direct communication and pro-active problem solving to address internal organizational challenges and disagreements.
- Works pro-actively and in good faith as a member of the staff team to support and strengthen the overall stability and effectiveness of the organization.
- Manages vendors and consultants as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Experience working in partnership with, by and for communities of color. Commitment to Forward Together’s mission and social justice. Experience working with a nonprofit preferred.
- At least 2 years’ experience providing executive or administrative support. Experience working with multiple supervisors preferred.
- A confident, friendly, professional, and helpful attitude, with willingness, independence, and initiative to take on small or large tasks.
- Highly organized and systematic, with excellent time and project management skills.
- Ability to juggle competing priorities and deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to control and handle information that is highly confidential and time-sensitive in nature.
- Experience managing national travel schedules and long-distance communications.
- Demonstrated experience planning and staffing board meetings and events.
- Ability to build trust and collaborate effectively.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Thorough, discerning, and swift Internet research skills. Strong computer skills, including familiarity with Microsoft Office, GSuite, and CRM platforms (Salesforce and EveryAction).
- Available for some evening and weekend activities.
- Ability to drive. Valid California driver’s license and, if driving own car, proof of insurance coverage meeting Forward Together’s organizational insurance levels.
Applicants should submit a cover letter describing:
- Why you are interested in this role with the listed responsibilities;
- Why you are interested in working for a multi-racial, multi-issue organization made up of people of color, immigrants, indigenous people, queer and Trans and Gender Nonconforming people who work to secure rights, recognition and resources for families so that family members have self-determination over their bodies, their sexuality, and their family formation.
- You must submit a cover letter and resume as your application. If you submit them as attachments, please name the files as follows:
- Cover Letter: Your Last Name, Your First Name Cover Letter
- Resume: Your Last Name, Your First Name Resume
Please submit your application with the subject line: Your Last Name, Your First Name-Executive Assistant to: email@example.com.
People of color, people with disabilities, Indigenous, queer, transgender, non-binary and gender nonconforming people strongly encouraged to apply. EOE.