Reports to: Co-Director of Development
Classification: Full-time, Permanent, Non-Exempt, At-Will
Office Hours: Monday – Thursday, 32 hours a week. Start and end times are flexible, but must be able to attend predetermined team and staff meetings.
Salary Range: $65,190 – $73,140 annually. The salary range is determined by Forward Together’s salary equity structure and therefore offers will only be made within this range.
Benefits: Benefits are generous, with fully paid employee and dependent coverage for health, vision, and dental; and long-term disability insurance. Paid time off includes sick days, vacation, and holidays. In addition, we close our offices for two weeks in December.
This is a union position with Forward Together Workers United (FTWU), a bargaining unit represented by CWA Local 9415.
Deadline to Apply: Thursday, April 15th. We encourage applicants to apply early. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Tentative Start Date: Monday, June 20th, 2022
ABOUT FORWARD TOGETHER
Forward Together unites communities to win rights, recognition and resources for all families. We transform culture and policy to work for all of us nationwide. Since our founding in 1989, we have continually fought to dismantle the ways our society marginalizes us based on race, sexuality, and gender. Today, we build courage and foster connection among our multi-racial community of changemakers to secure the rights, recognition and resources all families need to thrive. To learn more about Forward Together visit our website: https://forwardtogether.org
Over the last year, the Development team has undergone major shifts in philosophy and approach to fundraising. Leaning into the tenets of Community Centered Fundraising, Resource Mobilization, and the Racial Equity and Liberation work held throughout the organization, we see the role of development in Forward Together and Forward Together Action as a team of resource organizers/mobilizers who can build power and transfer wealth to our communities. The approach of the department is to 1) deepen and develop authentic relationships with funder partners so we can build with other grantees for collective power; 2) build with our grassroots and individual donors so we can deepen relationships and become their political home; and 3) work with other development people in an organizing/power building stance so we can strengthen the movement to transfer wealth and shift power.
The Development Coordinator is responsible for leading donor stewardship programs, logistics for fundraising/donor cultivation events, and providing administrative and operational support in the execution of Forward Together’s individual and institutional fundraising strategies. This position plays a key role in ensuring the growth and sustainability of our organization through record keeping, data management, donor communications and project management. Duties include tracking donations and grants, preparing quarterly reports, coordinating mailings, database entry and management, prospect research and building relationships with donors.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responds to inquiries related to donations and reaches out to donors for additional/updated contact information.
- Manages donor appreciation, including acknowledgment letters and phone calls.
- Coordinates mailings, including ordering materials from vendors.
Data Entry and Donor Systems
- Maintains all donor records and trouble-shoots data needs; produces lists for donor mailings and reports.
- Processes donations in EveryAction CRM and sends thank you letters to donors within 48 hours of receipt of gift; manages acknowledgement letters to keep them current/relevant to the gift.
- Works with Grants Manager to maintain grant tracking system in EveryAction.
- Reconciles CRM donation records against bank deposit records, on a monthly basis.
- Serves as a user and customer support contact for online donation platforms, including EveryAction, Benevity, and other workplace giving portals.
- Creates, formats and tests donor emails and donation pages in EveryAction or current email marketing platform.
- Researches and tests the impact of different approaches to acknowledgment or communication with donors and provides analysis to inform the program.
- Prepares analysis of major campaigns and on an annual and quarterly basis to track fundraising progress and trends for both individual and institutional fundraising.
Development Team Support
- Meets weekly with co-Director of Development to manage scheduling and follow up for major donor and funder meetings.
- Develops and implements ongoing training and support for the Development team to ensure integrity of data, adoption of best practices and real-time troubleshooting; develops written reports and presentations.
- Supports logistics for house parties, major donor and funder events.
- Processes and tracks grant agreement letters.
- Maintains up-to-date foundation prospect database.
- Other administrative tasks, as assigned.
Builds an Organizational Culture of Resource Mobilization
- Collaborates with the Development Team to build a Culture of Resource Mobilization that is grounded in racial justice.
- Works with all staff to ensure participation and follow through on fundraising activities, including the major end of year mail appeal, phone banks, and peer-to-peer campaigns.
- Provides leadership and training to staff on fundraising efforts, including sharing of best practices and providing tools, information and resources to strengthen fundraising efforts.
- Recruits and supervises interns or volunteers for grassroots fundraising activities.
Staff Teams and Administrative Systems
- Actively participates in monthly all-staff meetings and quarterly strategy/evaluation sessions.
- Travels to other offices for strategy/evaluation sessions up to 2 times a year.
- Effectively utilizes all financial management systems (examples include: accurate and on-time reporting of time sheets, lobbying, credit card expenses, etc.).
- Accurately tracks and reports lobbying activities.
- Conscientiously meets deadlines for all financial reporting (timesheets, credit card expenses, bill processing), understanding that the Finance Team relies upon timely reporting to provide regular financial analysis.
- Customer relationship management (CRM) software (currently EveryAction)
- Database user interface and query software – Foundation Directory Online (FDO) and WealthEngine
- Relevant software – Proficiency with Microsoft Office, web browsers, Gmail, Google Calendar and the basics of spreadsheet, database and video conferencing software
- Speaking – Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Writing – Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Active Listening – Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Persuasion – Persuading others to change their minds/behavior or take an action.
- Critical thinking – Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Committed to Forward Together and Forward Together’s mission and social justice
- Previous experience in Development preferred
- Customer service, relational approach to ensuring that our communications with donors are responsive, professional, and timely
- Highly organized and systematic
- Strong initiative and self-starter with excellent follow-through
- Good people skills and a positive attitude
- Meticulous attention to detail and accuracy, especially in writing, copy-editing, data entry and data management
- Strong time management skills and ability to juggle competing priorities and deadlines
- Strong project management and problem solving skills
- Ability to work well in teams and use direct communication to express needs
- Comfort and experience dealing with numbers and elementary math
- Must be able to speak, read, write, and understand the primary language of English used in the workplace, with a preference for bilingual (Spanish preferred)
- Ability to travel as needed. If driving one’s own car, proof of insurance coverage meeting Forward Together and Forward Together Action’s organizational insurance levels.
- Ability to travel, usually by plane, for up to 4 days at a time, 3-5 times per year.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES SPECIFICATIONS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- At a desk 80% of the time, which includes typing on a computer and mouse 60% of the time and talking on the phone 20% of the time.
- Regularly required by the duties of this job to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell.
- Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Occasionally participates in sessions of Courageous Practice, a mind body practice that includes exercises like breathing, stretching and tai chi, to the extent of physical ability and with any physical adjustments necessary.
Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, travels to major cities across the United States, such as Oakland, Portland, Albuquerque, Atlanta and Washington, D.C, for periods of up to 4 days at a time, up to 3 times per year.
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee travels by subway, plane, train and automobile and is exposed to changing weather conditions.
- When working inside an office, this position is not exposed to weather conditions.
- The noise level in the office work environment is usually moderate.
People of color, people with disabilities, Indigenous, queer, transgender, non-binary and gender nonconforming people strongly encouraged to apply.
Applicants should submit a cover letter describing:
- Why you are interested in this role with the listed responsibilities;
- Why you are interested in working for a multi-racial, multi-issue organization made up of people of color, immigrants, indigenous people, queer and transgender and gender-nonconforming people who work to secure rights, recognition and resources for families so that family members have self-determination over their bodies, their sexuality, and their family formation.
You must submit a resume and a cover letter that thoroughly answers the prompts or your application will be deemed incomplete. Click here to access the application portal.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.