Employment Type: Full-time staff position, non-exempt
Compensation: $55-$70,000, plus full benefits and generous PTO
Reports to: National Field and Policy Director
Location: Oakland, California; this job may be worked from a remote position
Application deadline of October 27, 2019
Who We Are
Forward Together is a multiracial organization who builds the power of women and non-binary people of color and Indigenous people. Our bold and innovative campaigns move policy and change conditions so that all families can thrive. In our action sites in New Mexico and Oregon, Forward Together is building power to win policies around healthcare access, recognizing families of all kinds, and building safe communities. We also lead Strong Families, the largest national network working to secure rights, win recognition and uplift the voices of all families. While working to create a better future for all families, we are also committed to building an organization that values relationships, recognizes the strengths of each staff member and nurtures a new generation of leaders. Find out more about us at forwardtogether.org.
Forward Together is looking for a data strategist to strengthen our data programs, including data-driven field. We seek a high-performing individual committed to harnessing data to support power building in multiple states. Your job will be to help us apply and synthesize what we learn about our communities to inform effective campaigns for action. This is a unique opportunity to be a strategic partner at one of the leading organizations in the country advancing change at the intersection of race, gender and sexuality.
This position will work primarily with our state based field staff in New Mexico and Oregon and be the central data strategist that drives Forward Togethers’s campaigns and programs. This position will be responsible for building and implementing sophisticated targeting programs for our on-the-ground work in NM and OR, as well as for both our online efforts. There will be a strong focus on key states for civic and electoral engagement, visualizing data and analytics, learning from historic and contemporary data, and managing Forward Together’s voter outreach data. The position will also require your own deep and direct engagement with data. Successful candidates will have both analytic skills and also experience in project management to turn analysis into action.
Internally, the Data Strategist will be part of a Data Team comprised of our IT Manager and Digital Strategist to align the data needs of the whole organization, build integrated systems, and ensure data fidelity.
You’re perfect for this position if…
- You love field data.
- You love telling stories through data.
- You are results-oriented.
- You enjoy the process of thinking strategically.
- You thrive on change, innovation and risk-taking.
- You excel at making data accessible to people.
- You embrace the power of a team.
- You are organized, good with systems, detail-oriented and have impeccable follow-through.
The Data Strategist will create and implement best practices for our field data collection efforts, conduct insightful data analysis, lead targeting efforts, and develop reports and dashboards that surface key learnings.
- Support the development of a data-driven culture that ensures our field decisions are informed by the best data available
- Work closely with staff in New Mexico and Oregon on field campaigns including tactics and strategies to engage our base and pressure decision makers
- Create analysis and reports that provide key insights, trends and recommendations for Forward Together field programs
- Advance data experiments to measure our impact
- Responsible for the integration of core data sources – including our CRM, voter file, and SMS tools – are working well together and being used to their best advantage
- Extract, clean, validate, analyze, and report on field data
- Create and run queries and reports (regular and as needed)
- Create and present graphs, charts, dashboards and other visuals
- Serve as a primary CRM expert
- Participate in FT Data Team from field perspective, helping to align FTs data culture, training, and practice with other members of the Data Team.
- Lead Voterfile analysis, including segmentation and targeting for Field programs
- Diagnose and troubleshoot database issues.
- Minimum of 3 -5 years experience preferred in data management and analysis in campaign or field building context.
- Ability to use database and stats package tools required to effectively analyze data (Excel, SQL, or Python are fine, we don’t care what your preferred stats approach is as long as it efficiently gets the job done)
- Proficiency with EveryAction (or similar CRMs) and NGP VAN.
- Experience as a VAN and/or EveryAction administrator
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Easily learns new tools, technologies and trends related to CRMs, Voterfile and other data analysis.
- Awareness of emerging data best practices and trends in experimentation and analysis
- Comfortable training organizers in data collection processes.
- Excellent organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills.
- Ability to work well in teams and use direct communication to express needs and priorities.
- Highly organized and systematic, with excellent time and project management skills and the ability to juggle competing priorities and deadlines.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, web browsers, Gmail Google Calendar
- A willingness to learn through trial and error.
- Flexible and comfortable in a fast-paced environment with shifting priorities.
- Strong commitment to social justice.
People of color, queer, transgender, gender nonconforming people and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. EOE.
Please send cover letter, resume, and 3 references to: email@example.com with the subject line “Data Strategist”.
No phone calls, please. Due to the high volume of applicants, only those selected for further discussion will be contacted.